Join Our Team!
The Foundation Fighting Blindness (FFB) staff are a high-energy, dedicated team determined to make a difference in the fight against blindness. We are motivated by the profound impact that sight-saving research and education programs have on families living with blinding eye diseases.
The FFB is an equal opportunity employer and supports applicants with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request throughout the recruitment process.
Company & Culture
The Foundation Fighting Blindness is Canada’s largest registered charity committed to sight saving research; contributing over $32M to leading edge eye research. The Foundation has funded many research discoveries and is accelerating breakthroughs in treatments and cures. Equally important is our commitment to the individuals, families, and friends living with eye diseases through our education programs.
The Foundation is known for its signature events, Ride for Sight, Comic Vision, and Cycle for Sight. Working from our national office in downtown Toronto, you will join a high-energy, dedicated team determined to make a difference in the fight against blindness. We are motivated by the profound impact that sight-saving research and education programs have on families living with blinding eye diseases. You’ll see results.
The Senior Manager of Events is a proven fundraising event specialist, that thrives on the challenge and excitement of pulling off high profile fundraising events. Senior Manager oversees and is responsible for the execution of a portfolio of national events; Comic Vision, Cycle for Sight, Ride for Sight, and third party events. They are always looking to take advantage of opportunities to expand existing events or create new ones altogether. The Senior Manager of Events takes a collaborative and hands on approach to organizing events with volunteer committees and the support of staff event coordinators. They are a “doer”.
REPORTS TO: President and CEO
• Manage the staff and volunteer teams and their signature, partnership and stewardship event accountabilities.
• Build relationships with existing and new sponsors engaged with our events.
• Initiate, develop and implement strategies to increase fundraising event net revenue from existing and new event templates.
• Oversee event performance analysis, budget adherence, and set strategic direction to meet revenue goals.
• Conduct analysis to identify new opportunities and develop, execute and evaluate long-term strategies to grow established events.
• Ensure sponsor needs are met by managing the donor/participant experience, media impact, delivery of sponsor fulfillment requirements, achievement of supporter recognition goals, and other key performance indicators.
• Lead stewardship strategy of the Foundation’s event volunteers, sponsors, donor and participants.
• Determine effectiveness of event activities in light of donor needs and other activities in terms of timing of execution, staff utilization, etc.
• Accountable for managing event budgets.
• Collaborate with communications staff to help develop fundraising and communications materials to support event activities.
• Work with key stakeholders (ie. event committees, senior management team, etc.) to maintain and leverage existing event relationships as well as facilitate the cultivation of new ones.
• Analyse and report on event performance by preparing post-event evaluations, facilitating learning across the involved teams, and identifying and implementing opportunities to enhance revenue as well as the donor stewardship/ participant experience.
• Directly manage four event coordinators (full time, part time and contract).
• Recruit and train qualified staff to meet the departmental staffing needs, as needed.
• Manage staff performance in relation to goals established for the department and for individual achievement.
• Meet regularly with staff to review progress against plan.
• Motivate, coach, guide, mentor and problem solve with staff to support them in achieving their commitments.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• A minimum of 8 years of charitable sector experience in event planning and management.
• Has flawlessly executed high profile events that are large, complex and requiring input from multiple stakeholders.
• Track records of developing excellent relationships with volunteer committees and high profile volunteer leaders.
• Has created new and innovative events as well as growing existing events leading to increased revenue and participation.
• Experience managing event staff, vendors and outside consultants, agencies, writers, and other third party suppliers.
• Proven track record of fundraising experience and demonstrated knowledge of special events, sponsorship, volunteer and donor engagement.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills (business cases, proposal writing, presentation, and negotiation skills).
• Ability to develop event concepts and integrate strategies into operational and fund development activities.
• Excellent ability to solve complex problems and adapt event plans in real time.
• Strong organizational and time management skills to determine work priorities and manage multiple projects in a fast paced and resource-lean environment.
• Has a strategic mind and is able to see event strategy.
• Handles stress well and can manage many competing demands simultaneously and calmly
• Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team to successful fundraising achievement.
• A natural leader – creative, positive, and results oriented.
• Working knowledges of CRM programs, specifically Raisers’ Edge.
• A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle as travel will be required.
• Relevant post secondary degree.
• Membership Association of Fundraising Professionals is an asset.
The current annual salary range for this permanent full time position is $70,000 to $80,000. Compensation also includes a comprehensive benefit package and membership in the group registered retirement savings plan.
Please submit your application prior to 9:00 am on October 8, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Foundation Fighting Blindness is an equal opportunity employer and supports applicants with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request throughout the recruitment process. Please email your request for accommodation with your application.
The FFB has a variety of internship/co-op positions open throughout the year. If you are interested in doing your internship/co-op with us, please do not hesitate to contact Diem Luong at email@example.com.