Title: Manager, Comic Vision
Employment Terms: 12 month contract
Start Date: Late August / Early September 2017
Reporting Structure: Reports to the Director, Philanthropy, manages an external event consultant in Toronto and supports an external event consultant on the West Coast
While this position manages events nationwide, which will necessitate event management experience, the focus of the position is on fundraising.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of fundraising experience. Our events are managed by fundraising staff in house with logistics managed by external consultants.
Please specify your fundraising experience in your cover letter as it applies to this position.
We have great respect for event planners in the industry, however we are fully staffed in that regard.
Due to the nature of this position, travel and late nights are required. A valid driver’s license is a must. The incumbent will also have direct experience with Raiser’s Edge.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Manager, Comic Vision” in the subject line. While we thank all applicants for their interest in this position, we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
THE FOUNDATION FIGHTING BLINDNESS
The Foundation Fighting Blindness is the leading private supporter of vision research in Canada. Over the past 42 years, the Foundation Fighting Blindness has invested over $30 million in ground-breaking research that will ultimately be translated into new therapies and cures at hospitals and universities nation-wide. Our growing Major Gift and Annual Giving programs, pioneering Vision Quest education series and signature events across Canada like Comic Vision, Ride for Sight and Cycle for Sight, unite Canadians to support our commitment to advancing retinal research, education and public awareness. Since 1974, thanks to our supporters, the Foundation Fighting Blindness has funded 215 research grants resulting in over 700 discoveries, all supporting our goal of understanding why vision loss occurs, how it can be slowed or stopped, and how sight can be restored. Curing blindness is a monumental task that many of our researchers have made their life’s work. Our community of donors demonstrate unwavering support of our mission – changing lives by restoring hope and sight.
Travelling nationally with the Canada’s funniest people, Comic Vision invites guests to share the laughter and see the hope in support of the Foundation Fighting Blindness. Over the past 19 years, we have seen the impact of a game-changing $9 million raised from Comic Vision. A night of FUN, this ain’t your average rubber chicken gala! Guests enjoy complimentary cocktails, delicious food, and a packed live and digital auction.
The Manager, Comic Vision will oversee the management our Montreal event on November 2 and will support the Manager, West Coast Events to execute our Vancouver event on November 3. The Manager will also develop and execute three events in the Spring of 2018 (Toronto x2 and Oakville). Note that dates and cities are subject to change and new events may be added in consultation with the Manager.
A cumulative gross fundraising budget for all events is $700,000 which comprises of sponsorship (local and national), table and ticket sales, onsite fundraising (auctions, raffles, etc.), and donations. Securing in-kind support is essential in keeping expenses low.
- Hold sole responsibility for the overall budget including the procurement of sponsorship (cash and in-kind), ticket sales, donations and onsite fundraising
- Secure new and renewing local and national sponsors, event donors and ticket buyers through data mining and strategic outreach by creating unique and enticing sales packages
- Management of key relationships with sponsors, donors and ticket buyers
- Manage volunteer committees for each event, and identify potential new committee members
- Provide excellent stewardship through timely tax receipting, thank you calls, and maintenance of accurate information in the database
- Collect, procure and write all copy for silent and live auction items through existing relationships, volunteer committees, and cold calling
- Meticulous management of donor pipelines, prospects, guest lists and seating plans
- Implement innovative communications / promotional strategies including social media, e-communications, and targeted marketing
- Recruitment of event day volunteers in tandem with other FFB staff
- Ensure financial reconciliation and accurate forecasting in all areas of revenue and expenses
- Work with FFB staff to identify and manage event Ambassadors and inspirational speakers
- Effectively manage external consultants with regards to logistics, design, scripting, and the website